My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Saturday, March 6, 2010

2 weeks from today!

From Livejournal March 3rd, 2010:

Today was supposed to be the start of my liquid diet (2 weeks from today, I'm in the hospital having surgery.) But, my new boss's-boss wanted to take me out to lunch to get to know me and this was the only day she could do it so I decided to postpone rather than have a weird, non eating lunch. I told her about my plans and she is very understanding, so starting tomorrow it's 13 days of liquids before the surgery and then 2 more weeks of them afterward before I move to pureed foods.

Got some good news a few days back... When applying for short term disability (STD, lol) my surgeon gave me 30 days off work and amazingly work is understanding and we're working on hiring our intern to fill in for me for the month.

This means a) I don't have to and in fact won't be allowed to worry about work from March 17 - April 17th and b) that I'll have lots more free time than I've ever had before. I may not be able to drive for a couple of weeks so I am looking for people who want to come hang out or pick me up and go places once I'm feeling well enough. Hopefully there will be a few people interested so I don't spend a month sitting at home alone. I'm also hoping I'll be cleared to drive after 2 weeks. I have a post-op appointment on 3/31 that I will probably have to be driven to but should find out at that point if I'm cleared for driving.

So, I'll be wanting to do things to keep moving like taking walks, maybe (window)shopping, etc. Also, if you're one of the people who has ridden or wants to ride Helo, I will be offering that and even teach you if you pick me up and drive me to the barn.

I don't know what else to do other than read, watch movies, hang out with friends, and relax for my recovery time. Damn... I should have looked into that whole medical tourism thing more beforehand cause I could have done this in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment