My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Days 6 and 7...not so liquid

The past couple of days haven't been too bad. I've been hungry. It's hard to be full for more than 5 minutes on liquids - but it's starting to fade into the background and I've been very busy at work so I actually have to still remind myself to drink a protein shake every so often.

We have a Smoothie King nearby and I went down there yesterday and got a low carb chocolate smoothie. Didn't taste as good as I remember them being from years back but it was a nice change from my normal drink.


I feel a teansy bit guilty for "cheating" and having some soup today with actual substance to it, but I have been riding my horse for the past 2 nights and have started to feel so weak, like I'm going to just fall over. I have lost 13 lbs since I started this process working towards surgery (official starting weight taken on 1/12/10 so that's 13 lbs in 2 months now.) And 4 of them have been in the past 7 days. So, while I could lose more, faster, if I keep on doing nothing but pure liquids, I really have felt like I might pass out and it's more important to be able to keep on keeping on. So screw it! I had soup with corn and shredded chicken at lunch and soup with little chunks of beef for dinner. Tomorrow we're going rock climbing so I'm definitely not starting on broths only yet but maybe I will for Friday. I don't know... It's not like the doctor told me I had to be on the liquid diet, I decided to do it on my own to make the transition easier after surgery, and I think as long as I keep doing what I have been for the next 6 days I'll be fine. The good news is that once I go through surgery I will be able to eat a wider variety of things including soups with substance as long as they're blended down to smooth texture. I'm really looking forward to beef stew and chicken noodle soup even if they don't look like what they are supposed to.

In other news, everyone I've told about what I'm doing has been super supportive. For the first time today 2 people told me that my face looks thinner, which is good, cause I am worried my face will never not be chubby. At work I've finally gotten our intern set up to fill in for me (took frigging long enough to go through all the red tape) so tomorrow I'll be sending out an email to important people and setting an out of office message to run for the next few days so that as many people as I can reach will be aware I'm going to be out. I'm still trying to decide how to phrase it. Medical leave? Short term disability? Personal leave? Vacation? I'm not sure what the best thing to call my absence is. I don't want people to worry and I don't really want to tell everyone I've ever worked with the details of what I'm doing unless they really want to know.

I'm really lucky to have someone really competent filling in for me and a coworker also willing to help in case of emergency. I am going to have to send thank you gifts to everyone once I'm back.

Pretty tired now, but I am making updating this thing a priority. A week from tonight I'll be spending my one and only night in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment