My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Sunday, March 7, 2010

Over the hump?

I'm now in the middle of day 4 (modified pre-op diet) and I feel like I might have made it out the other side. I certainly don't want to get too cocky about it, rather I'm just grateful that constant, gnawing, "can't sleep, can't think" hunger seems to have subsided. Sure, I've been hungry today but I have had my protein shakes, water, water, water, some soup, and more water now, and I'm doing ok. And on top of all that, I spent 4 hours out at the barn moving nonstop and then went to Walmart. I'm finally home at 4:00 (left home at 9am) and I stepped on the scale to find myself 6lbs lighter than I was 4 days ago when I started the pre-op diet. Not sure if it's cause I'm dehydrated at the moment (I've been peeing more than my horse) but I'm hoping it's real, honest-to-goodness loss of weight considering I've been living on nearly nothing for a few days. I will be switching to only clear broths on Wednesday for the final week before surgery. I've been doing these creamy soups from Wholefoods like basil tomato and portabello mushroom. And even though they have no actual chunks of anything (I wish!) they are still 70 calories per serving rather than 10 like chicken broth. I'm hoping I can make the switch and last that final week. If nothing else, this experience has put it firmly into my mind what it feels like to be hungry for real. It reminds me of when I did medifast - a 900 calorie a day diet - and lost 17 lbs in a month. Of course, I couldn't keep that up (after a while hunger is just too much for me) but the good thing about being this hungry is it puts all those other times into perspective. I think I may go back to liquids for a couple of days a month, each month after surgery just to remind myself of this feeling. Right now, I would KILL for something as small as plain deli turkey, or a grilled chicken breast with no spices. Screw that, I'd kill for some canned tuna, which I don't even like! Funny how things like chocolate, cookies, ice cream, and candy bars are nowhere on my mind. I may have just found the secret to keeping myself on the wagon with the band. Learn to appreciate being able to eat food again and not take it for granted that I can have anything anytime I want it.

I guess that's food for thought today.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say that I am in the second day of my liquid diet and this post has really helped me look at this in a new way. (:

    I too am OCD, Perfectionist, Type A personality horseback riding sexy fat chick with PCOS.

    I'm an active, healthy soon-to-be 19 yr old with huge goals and dreams and I'm scheduled for Lap-Band on the 22nd. We sound a lot a like and I would love to get to know you!

    KatieAnne Hufton
    Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like at katieanne@live.com I'm on the forum as well! DuckyHC on there.

    Thanks again and I really love your blog!

    ReplyDelete