My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Saturday, March 20, 2010

Surgery Day +3

I slept in my own bed for the first time last night since before surgery. The first 2 nights I couldn't lay flat so I stayed on the sofa. Getting up from even a partially reclined position was hellish and I made sure Steve was around to pull me by the arms so I didn't have to use my ab muscles more than necessary. Still, every move pulled on the incisions like they were about to pop open and I avoided any movement I didn't absolutely need.

I collapsed at 8pm last night and around 3am I was too uncomfortable to stay asleep so I had Steve help me up and went over to the LoveSac. That was the best thing I could have done and I slept till about 9am very peacefully. When I finally did wake up, Steve came over to help me up and amazingly, I was able to claw my way into a sitting position without his help. This gave me the confidence to assert that today would be my humpday. And indeed it turned out to be.

I showered, got dressed, and only needed Steve to put my shoes on. We decided to head out to Annapolis with my dad to find a cigar store and then to explore the walkable downtown area. We left around 11 and made it home around 3:30. During that time, we walked for at least 2 hours but did stop for lunch and sat down for a while as well. When we went for lunch, I was feeling real hunger for the first time I could remember in days. Real, honest to goodness, got to get something inside of me hunger. I ordered cream of crab soup which I was afraid would make me sick somehow but it tasted amazing, sat well with my stomach, and before I had even finished the cup of soup, I was full. I even ate it slowly enough that I still had soup left when Steve was done with his burger and Dad was done with his grilled salmon Caesar salad. I was impressed with myself for being able to eat so slowly without even trying that hard.

After lunch we continued to walk around Annapolis and eventually we were all pretty pooped and came home, where I've been checking the interwebs and updating the blog ever since. Been sipping on some 50/50 applejuice/water, which tastes so good (it's amazing how after weeks on nothing but soups the most un-exotic things have such an appeal.)

Ah... life is good. Or at least getting better. I really had 3 days where I was asking myself what the hell I had just done. And why I ever had thought going through surgery was a good idea. I think my humpday is almost over and it only gets better from here.

1 comment:

  1. They taught my some ways to move to get up w/o pulling on your belly - the best I found was to roll off my back, and swing my legs to the floor and using my arms for my upper body - though I wasn't able to manage my own shoes until the second week. :)

    BTW, what's your email doll? I got your call, but I had a rough couple days myself, and then a busy weekend. I wanted to shoot you an email letting you know I'd call tomorrow night when I got home from class. :) (I'm Wendy . Blackheart at gmail .com

    ReplyDelete