My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Monday, March 22, 2010

The first 20 lbs

Well, I think I can call it official. On 1/12/10 I weighed 274 at my doctor's with clothes on. On 1/23/10 I weighed 273 at my surgeon's office with a lot less clothes on (though not naked.) On 3/22/10 I weigh 253.3 naked. I am going to say it's close enough to call it 20 lbs. I'll never know my true starting weight (naked) but since this is what I have to go off, it's what I'm using.

And you know what? I really thought 20 lbs would be more significant. But I do still have anywhere from 80-100 left to lose depending on which side of the normal BMI I feel better at when I get there. My first goal is to get to 180 and see how I feel then.

In the meantime, what better place to work out all my issues than right here in public on my blog? Below is an excerpt from an email I wrote this morning:


I started this journey at 273 lbs on 1/12/10 when I went to my doctor for the first time and said "I'm doing it"... today I'm at 253. 20 lbs are gone, never to be seen again. And I'm having a little bit of a hard time because I don't see any difference. I thought I would see something at 20 lbs, so I'm making up excuses like I'm still bloated from surgery or I lost it all in weird places or whatever. The truth is, I bought some 16/18 exercise pants from walmart last night and a men's medium shirt and they both fit. I was wearing a 22/24 a couple of months ago so I know it's made a difference but I'm so frustrated cause I don't SEE it you know what I mean?

I think it helps to talk about this stuff. I've never actually been successful at losing more than 20-30 lbs so I have no idea what my body looks like at 240, or 220. I can only imagine but I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed when 50 lbs are lost and it doesn't look like what I want it to.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girlee - Hang in there....you're not going to feel the weight loss authentically until you recover more from your surgery!! I had laparoscopic ovarian cyst removal through my belly button a couple of years ago and felt horribly big and bloated even though the pounds were dropping off (I had no appetite for about a week and it hurt too much to get up to get food anyway). Once my insides recovered 2-3 weeks later I really felt the weight loss. Obviously, everyone's body/experience is different and you had a completely diff surgery, but you're def still healing!!! You rock, lady!!! I'm so happy for you and love your blog. You're a great writer!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete