My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shifting priorities and new decisions

It probably would do me good to re-read everything I've written here from the beginning. I know it would help me gain perspective and see how truly far I've come. At the moment, I feel pretty much like "I've lost 93 lbs and I've got nothing to show for it" which isn't TRUE but because the one aspect of my body that I most wanted to change through this whole process has changed the least, it feels true.

I've been talking to my therapist for months now about the idea of plastic surgery to fix my midsection. At first I thought I was really messed up about my body image and needed to learn to accept everything as it is. And I tried that. And I guess if I didn't have the capability to change things to make myself happier then I'd have to settle for that. But he asked me one night why I didn't just have the plastic surgery if the only thing I want to change about my body is so easily changeable. A routine tummy tuck. Hollywood housewives and everyone else for that matter do them all the time. I keep holding onto this belief that I can't have plastic surgery till I'm down at my lowest possible weight and also that I should be able to or even "can" lose more. Well, I'm starting to think that neither of those things may be true.

So, I haven't decided for sure yet but I'm starting to seriously consider it. It's really weird to imagine what my life, my body, and my perception of myself would be like minus the belly I've carried around my whole life. Weird, but a nice thing to imagine.

1 comment:

  1. A tummy tuck is usually performed after a woman stops having children or childbearing. If a pregnancy is planned for the distant future; however, some women may be considered candidates for tummy tucks even before childbearing. Tummy Tuck Philippines

    ReplyDelete