My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Monday, August 30, 2010

It's official, I'm a low-carber

It's too bad really. Because there are so many wonderful things that are healthy and low-fat and nutritious but packed with carbohydrates and sugar. Fruit, for one thing. Which I miss dearly. But it's sunk in big time that if I want to lose weight I have to eliminate nearly all carbohydrates from my diet, even the good ones like whole grains and fruit. On the other hand, I've found that it's not hard to maintain my current weight at all while eating them, so it gives me hope for sometime in the future when I'll be at a weight I want to maintain and can go into that mode.

In the 3 weeks since I got my last fill, I spent 2 of them eating whatever I wanted but in very small quantities. That resulted in me staying the same weight for 2 weeks. I was rather disappointed because I thought I'd be losing like crazy given how very little I could eat. As a sidenote, it took over a week for my body to settle down after the fill and be able to even eat a 1/2 cup or cup of food at one meal. Last week I decided to jump back on the low carb wagon that's gotten me this far and within 5 days I'd lost 5 lbs. Yes, that's right.

So now I'm 204.4 (been holding steady for a few days as I splurged at a party Saturday and then had an entire "off" day on Sunday) but I know that by Friday I should be closing in on my first goal of 200. I really, truly, cannot believe I am this close. It feels unreal and exciting. I feel like at hitting 200, I have shaved off the top layer of what I need to lose and going forward I will be able to see a real difference with every 10 lbs I shed. At least I sure hope so!

Anyway, I had marked on my calendar that I wanted to be at 200 by September 26, 2010 which would mean a loss of 73lbs from my starting weight dated 1/22/10. Now, keep in mind (and I have to remind myself of this too) Lap band patients are expected to lose 1-2 lbs per week and my surgery was on 3/17/10 so I would be expected to have lost 28 - 56 lbs. My doctor would be ecstatic if I had lost 56. And I will have lost 75 at the rate I'm going. When I think of it that way, it makes me really happy.

I love days like this... days where I get all my water in. Where I am not hungry, where I am making good choices and eating lots of protein and really don't have room for anything else. The less carbs I eat the less I even think about eating, period. It's very weird that way but I am so fortunate to have found the "secret" to working with my body on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment