My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Monday, August 9, 2010

Falling off

If someone had told me 6 months ago that I would lost 60 lbs I would not have believed them. But, if I had believed them, I would have thought, "Wow, 60lbs is a LOT! I won't be able to wear any of my clothes anymore, they'll all just be falling off. I'll be wasting away like a skeleton!" Back then, 60 lbs seemed like a lot more than it really is. I mean, it's a lot for sure, but it's not that much. There are people who've lost 100, 200, 300. Now their clothes are falling off them, I'm sure. They could probably swim in a pool the size of their old underwear if they wanted to. But 60? Not really that much - I now know.

Still, as I keep active on the message boards for people with Lap Bands, I see so much talk of this phenomenon of the falling clothes. People are constantly finding, when they least expect it, on their way to work, running to catch the bus, working out at the gym, their clothes are FALLING OFF of them. Left and right, it's like no one owns a belt or realizes that the should buy things a size smaller than they think they need so that it lasts longer. Or is it that they actually lose so much weight in one day that the pants they put on in the morning no longer fit them that afternoon? Either way, I don't understand it but mostly I'm jealous and I don't understand how come mine aren't doing the same thing.

In fact, I can still technically wear everything I owned at my heaviest, 63lbs ago. The clothes are roomy, sure. Loose, baggy, need a belt so my ass crack doesn't show when I bend over, but nothing is falling off. And you know what? That makes me feel kind of inadequate when I think of it. Thoughts such as, "maybe my 60lb loss is just an illusion or a broken scale." Or "maybe I'm only going to lose weight from weird places like my feet (which have gone down 1 size) but stop losing entirely from my waist and hips." Or even weirder is the fact that I can put on a size 14 jeans and they fit perfectly but I can put back on my old size 24s and they are still wearable. That is discouraging. For God's sake, I just want to be walking down the street and find my pants not capable of staying above my ankles, is that too much to ask??

So yesterday, I was preparing a bunch of clothes to donate to the Salvation Army and I came across a pair of Old Navy linen pants with a 42" waist. I don't remember them ever being tight on me but I know they did fit at one point. I tried them on to see if maybe, just maybe, these would be a pair that would fall off. Immediately, they were noticeably loose. I took a few hops around my bedroom and they started to move. A couple of jumping jacks and they were past my hips and there was no stopping them. The pants fell off of me completely, for the first time in my life! Now, I don't really feel like this counts because this is not a pair of pants I would be wearing out in public and all of the ones I do wear to work are in no danger of falling off. But maybe soon. With my recent band adjustment, I'm predicting to be under 200 for the first time in (???) years by Labor Day. Surely, 73 lbs would be enough that anything I owned before I started all this would start falling off, right? Right? Oh, and I guess I'd better buy some cute underwear if I'm planning on everything slipping off in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. THAT was the greatest post ever! I feel sooo much like you right now, words cannot even describe it! I have lost 92lbs (98 from my highest) and I still wear the same underwear, and although I wear a size 18 now, I still can wear my 26s. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I still feel like I weigh 340lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some issues with pants falling off at home. See, even now as I'm losing weight, my ass is still big - but my waist gets smaller. so pats fall down if I don't take them in. (However, this has always been the case. My ass is a size bigger than my waist. I can wear a 14 or 16 skirt, but I still need an 18 pants with altering, grrr!)

    One of the things that made me feel full of WIN while losing weight was getting rid of stuff that was too big right away - I like that I don't have 20 and 22 size pants floating around, unless I've altered them and they fit. Plus, my friends and I had a clothing swap, and we're all different sizes, so they got lots of clothes, I got lots of clothes, and what we didn't like went to re-dress.

    I can't wait to see you in Sept! I'm aiming for 200 then as well. Though this time, we won't have the same haircut. I think. :)

    ReplyDelete