My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

And the scale keeps moving

Despite everyone telling me that it's not supposed to at this point (3 weeks post op) my scale continues to move. Slowly but surely, and sometimes staying the same for a few days, but constantly inching downward. On the other hand, probably not all that slowly...it just seems that way when you weigh every day. I know I'm not supposed to be doing that but plenty of people do and I think it helps me feel like I'm on track.

So, today I am 244.2. On the morning of surgery I was 260. Um...that's like 15 lbs! And tomorrow is my 3 week surgi-versary! So averaging 5lbs a week right now. Ok, I take back the part about it being slow. I'm still in denial over if it's really "working" but I am taking weekly photos and of course the numerical proof is there. I'm definitely worried about what's going to happen when the scale stalls for more than a few days because I'll admit the numbers do help me get through the day. I am completely willing to put in all the work of counting calories and stuff and making sure I get exercise every day, as long as I'm seeing results. But if I start gaining weight for any reason I can see this turning bad very fast. Right now, even though I do get full on very little and stay full longer, I am constantly having to remind myself that no, I'm not actually hungry, when I think I might be. In my past life, I would have just taken that signal and ran with it. Because it didn't matter. Because limiting myself to any number of calories never actually worked and left me very run down. Now it's working and I don't want to go back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment