My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Something to be proud of

The past 10 days I have not been perfect but I have been really, really good and feeling better and better about myself all the time so it's something to celebrate. Most importantly, I seem to have rediscovered that "will power" or whatever it is when my head is in the right place to do this. I feel as though I am back on the right track and that's really important to me. I see myself differently when I look in the mirror than I did just a week ago. Being in control of what I'm eating has a way of doing that to me. I wish that the scale would move more quickly. Don't I always wish that? I weighed in on Sunday 7/29 at 194.4 and today I'm 186.6. It's been so long since it consistently moved in the downward direction that I've forgotten some of the patience it takes to go a few days without any numeric progress. I keep reminding myself that as long as it's staying the same or moving down at all, then I must be doing something right. Last night I was lying in bed and could feel my ribs. I really think this is the first time in my life I've experienced that. For one thing, it's weird. I started thinking, "are they really that close to the surface that I can feel each individual bone? I'm not that thin. I still feel as though I've got plenty of padding to be lost. But maybe not in my ribcage area at least. I've probably said this before but it always strikes me as interesting and amusing that despite losing any amount of weight, there is just nothing I can do to change my large bone structure. Not that I'd want to but it just goes so counter to what I always believed. I thought if I could just lose enough weight, I'd be tiny. One of the things hitting home for me is that I am never going to be tiny. Learning not just to "accept" but to admire my structural largeness is an evolving journey but I think I'm getting better at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment