My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Thursday, August 9, 2012

A slip-up as a victory

I don't know what came over me yesterday. It was my 11th day of trying to follow the Medifast plan very closely and it was working out well for me. I had lost 7lbs in the first week but I had stayed there for the next 3 days so I guess that was getting kind of frustrating. I never planned to go off of the plan to the extent I did but something just came over me and made me think it was a good idea. I also was more hungry than normal yesterday, probably because I had ridden my bike first thing in the morning. And I was also a bit bored and restless, which never helps. The combination of factors definitely added up and lead to this incident. I ate 1 spoonful of nutella, a super thin slice of a spice-bread, and 3 bites of apple pie. All in all, maybe it was an extra few hundred calories, if that. As soon as I had my little "binge" my first thought was that I had ruined my day and really should go down the road to Dairy Queen and get an ice cream. And then, my second thought was that maybe I had fallen off the wagon a little but it wasn't THAT bad and eating more stuff I know I don't really want wasn't going to make me feel better. This is a huge success in my book because I really cannot remember a time in the past that I've diverged from whatever my "plan" is and then gotten right back on track like it never happened. Normally it would be a spiral of junk food with the promise to myself that I'd get back on board the next day. And of course that one day would have undone all the progress I'd made up to that point and I'd be starting over and discouraged. This time was so different! Something shifted and did what I knew I should do instead of what my silly emotions were telling me in the moment. I woke up this morning and weighed and I am back to 187.4, from 186.8 where I'd been holding steady for a few days. But so what? I'm recommitted to my plan more than ever today and the best part is having the experience of straying slightly and not letting it become a runaway train. Each time I can do this it will make the next time a little easier and more natural. And of course there will be a next time. There will always be another time when I decide to eat something that isn't the best choice. But I can decide to do that and then continue eating well or I can decide to do that and let my entire day, week, or life go to "I-don't-care-land". I think learning to do the former is a much better option. So, I am really happy with my slip up experience and proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment