My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Friday, November 4, 2011

Surgery day +3

I woke up early this morning, afraid it was the middle of the night, but it was actually 6am. For the first time, cause I had no choice, I got out of my recliner by myself and went to the bathroom! Knowing now that I can get out of the recliner alone without too much trouble is a big relief. After the bathroom I decided to take 1 full loritab to get me back to sleep and pre-load me with some pain killer for the 8am drive to the doctor's office. I had a follow up appointment at 9am which went very well. I only wish he had wanted to remove 2 of my drains but he'll do that on Wednesday when I see him next. The car ride was easier than I anticipated... in fact everything has really been easier than I anticipated so far. At the office, the surgeon and his 2 assistants were very vocal about their pleasure with my results and me healing so far. I can't wait till I have some legitimate before/after pics to show but everything right now is still too gruesome and swollen to consider "after." But we can all see the potential for what it's going to be. I know I'm going to be so happy in a couple of months when all the swelling is down and I can wear my size 10 pants without a big bulge coming over the top. I can't help but think this surgery is going to change my life more than the first one did. Probably equally so.

Anyway, there isn't a whole lot to report about today except that things are going well. My drains are draining, I'm walking hunched over but without pain, I went to costco and whole foods and took a few car rides and now I'm back at my dad's house enjoying some chicken soup and thinking about a nap. I've also not taken any more loritab since 6am. I've done advil a couple of times since then but it would be so awesome not to be on narcotics except maybe to help me sleep comfortably through the night for a few days still.

I'm not bored yet, amazingly. Between talking to people online, web browsing, reading, tv, and sleeping, I am just enjoying being off work and being taken care of. I think yesterday was a real turning point for me in the healing and I know I'll say this over and over again but it's only going to get better from here.

I don't think I'll be riding a bike at day 6 like I was last time but I'll be up and at'em as soon as I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment