My Progress

I started this blog in March 2010 when I found out I was approved to move forward with Lap-Band surgery. I've always fancied myself a "writer" though I hate the pretension that usually comes along with that label. I've also never managed to keep a steady journal, blog, or website going for more than a few months (instead I've started many over the years and they've fizzled out.) But here you go, my latest attempt, and because it's an issue that's so important, I've really tried to keep up with it on a regular basis.

If you're interested in reading the whole story from the beginning, you should scroll down and start with the earliest posts, moving forward. Yes, I know you know how a blog works but my grandmother might visit this website too, you know!

I chose "Results Not Typical" because that's always the disclaimer you see on commercials for weight loss products and services. Well, I've never been typical in any sense of the word, so I'm hoping this time around is no different. I told myself when I started that I was going to excel at this (as I do with most things I put my mind to) and I'm happy to report that I already have. 15 months after my surgery, I am down 95 lbs. I truly cannot believe it, nor can I believe (or could I have imagined) the differences in my life.

I welcome comments by email or left here and hope to offer support to others.


Wednesday, June 29, 2011

2 week experiment, day 2

Well, day 1 on medifast was a hell of a lot more pleasant than day 1 on liquids!

I did not stick to the plan entirely but the good news is I didn't eat anything that was inherently off plan, just needed a little extra. I start my day with my own protein shake that is 100 calories and 18 grams of protein. I did 4 medifast "meals" during the day and split my 1 "lean and green" into lunch and dinner since my banded stomach can't do 7oz of meat and 3 cups of vegetables at once! In the late afternoon between lunch and dinner I was really hungry so I had a tablespoon of peanut butter, which is allowed. Then when I got home really late last night I made my last medifast meal (peanut butter flavored "soft serve" which was surprisingly good!) I was trying to go to sleep but my stomach was growling so I had a tablespoon of almond butter. Total calories: 1328. Burned 332 in exercise from the barn. So I netted 996.

Day 1 breakdown of nutrients is as follows:

Calories: 1328 (996 net)
Carbs: 94
Fat: 61
Protein: 124
Water: >70 oz

I think the huge amount of protein definitely helped me not feel hungry. I am a daily weigher and did not have any change between yesterday and this morning but I only "count" my weekly weigh-ins so I am definitely going to give the plan a chance. This is so much better quality (and less volume) than I have been eating that I know it's got to make a difference.

Today is going well so far and I have my first session with the personal trainer at the gym tonight. My goal is to be at 173 on my doctor's scale by 8/5 (if I even end up going in to get a fill - I may not need it.) That would be 100 lbs according to his scale and that would make me feel really great. I know I could lose more quickly if I didn't add in an extra protein shake but I think most people doing this plan are not exercising this intensely and I know if I don't get it I will be hungry. I'm willing to see how it goes for 2 weeks and re-evaluate. But so far so good. I think if I can keep up this level of calories, protein, carbs, and fats and amp up my exercise a bit more I'll really be making progress.

I'm just really happy to report the lack of hunger. I have been trying really hard lately to recognize the difference between hunger and thirst. I really like that everything on MF is portioned out and with my band the portions actually seem like plenty. I can only imagine what it must feel like to un-banded people not used to eating this tiny amount of food. Well, I did do MF pre-band when I was 20 I think. I lost 17 lbs in a month but I couldn't keep it up. The food has definitely improved in quality since then. Even more so since my mom did it when I was a kid and the food was literally all just shakes and broth.

I'm actually so happy with the plan that I'm considering buying more food but I think I should wait another week just to make sure I'm going to want to stick with it longer term. Slowly learning which foods are better than others but so far I kind of like everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment